Alder Chicken Halves
David Dawkins Fayetteville, NC
- 3-4 lb Whole Chicken
- Orion’s Dry Rub
- Take whole chicken out of package.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- With cutlery shears, cut whole chicken in half so there will be a breast on each half.
- Place the two halves in a large pot.
- Fill with cold water and pour in a cup of salt.
- Add ice cubes to water (1 layer of ice cubes on top of water).
- Place in refrigerator for two hours prior to cooking.
- Remove chicken halves from water and pat dry with paper towel.
- Sprinkle Orion’s Dry Rub evenly over each half.
- Place Alder chips between cooking cylinder and drip pan.
- Place cooking grate in cooking cylinder.
- Place chicken halves cut side down on cooking grate.
- Place instant light charcoal around upper and lower charcoal rings.
- Place the lid on the cooking cylinder.
- Light and come back in 1 hour and 10 minutes. Check meat for doneness.